Thursday 29 January 2015

Captain for the Day


Well – I’ve graduated – from first mate to captain-in training!  When I woke up at 3:00 a.m., I noticed that the wind had shifted, and we were being blown perilously close to the shore. I checked the depth, and we were still OK and the anchor was holding, despite the raging wind. But now the wind was coming from an unprotected place and blowing us around like a rocking horse. I decided we’d need to wait until first light to do anything, and since we were in no imminent danger, I went back to sleep.

When I awoke again at 7:00 a.m. to the sunrise, Jeff was still asleep, so I decided not to wake him yet. I took a depth reading and looked at the tide charts on the I-pad – close to low tide, still with 7 feet under the keel, but going down.  I also consulted the chart for alternative locations to re-anchor. I debated about just hauling in some anchor line, but thought that would wake Jeff up anyway – so I woke him, and together we moved Sea Change to a safer, more comfortable anchorage near-by.


My Captain congratulated me on all of that, and said I’d graduated! Unfortunately, I’m not doing as well in the First Mate department, since, because we couldn’t shop yesterday, we’ve run out of food (for which I’m largely responsible). So for today my challenge will be to make something from nothing – I’m sure we’ll survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment